Monday, December 19, 2005

Shuffle and Walk

I've given my iPod instructions to shuffle "Songs" in one of my '60s mixes. Oh sure, I could just tell it to shuffle the entire contents of its little hard drive for that wonderful "Unstuck in time" feeling. But this way, I can pretend it's fifth grade and I'm in my room listening to my transistor radio, wondering when that new Beatles song is going to come on.

Usually, I don't shuffle, because my playlists and mixes are done in a very specific order, like a story with a beginning, middle and end. So when I play them, I'm enjoying the song and also enjoying the little movie soundtrack I've created. But shuffling makes them feel fresh and you notice the song more, because your head isn't thinking ahead and it's unexpected.

Also, when I was a kid in the Bronx, I never realized the Shangri-La's had accents...for obvious reasons.

I'm killing time until midnight, when the new transit strike deadline arrives. The Workers and the Management keep appearing in press conferences, with the outraged posturing of WWF wrestlers. The TWU has assured the Bosses that this time, they really, really mean it, and they're not bluffing.

So in case they really do mean it this time, in a little over two hours I'm going to find out if I'm walking three and a half miles in the freezing cold tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, shuffle shuffle shuffle. Oooh, here's one I remember from camp.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map