Thursday, August 03, 2006

Blackout Watch

Word spread throughout the office this afternoon in the form of e-mails and mumbled conversations between cubicles: "A friend who has an acquaintance whose father's cousin works for Con Ed," yadda-yadda-yadda. Long story short: Don't take the subway home from work; there may be a blackout at rush hour.

The subway platform's been a new form of hell this week. Besides, I felt like a change of pace; I'm forever diving frantically into a hole like a rabbit on crack. So, iPod burbling early '70s music, I rode the bus home in air-conditioned comfort.

It's nearly two hours later now, and so far, no blackout. I'm watching NY1 and there's now a thunderstorm watch. After that, it may cool down. I'm watching the hearings to investigate the blackout that left thousands of people in northern Queens without power for over a week last month.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map