Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bad Luck, That's What You Got, That's What You Got

Sippican Cottage relates a story, which opens with:
Bad luck means something different to me than other people, I gather. Bad luck to them appears to mean that the eminently predictable results of their endless foolish behavior is impinging--finally--on their 24/7 self-gratification.

Hey, I'd like to say for the record here that I'm not one of those people. I've been told I'm very much (annoyingly) the opposite. I take responsibility/blame for just about everything. If I had written the Book of Genesis, it would have said, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth...and I'm really, really sorry."

Sip's story has an ending that could have been written by my old man, whose work ethic I emulate today. When I was 11, my father was working on a construction site when someone yelled, "Heads Up!" and he looked up to see a small cinderblock fall right on his nose and bust it. He was rushed to the doctor, who splinted the busted honker. And then, against doctor's orders, my father turned around and went back to the job.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map