Thursday, October 25, 2007

Chirping From On High

"Chirp. Chirp."

It felt as if I had just gone to sleep when I heard it. I turned around to slap the "snooze" button on my alarm clock and realized that a) it was only 1:45 AM and b) the sound wasn't sustained enough to be my alarm clock.

"Chirp. Chirp."

The smoke alarm. A fire? My mind raced with visions of Southern California. No, that's right, chirping means the battery needs to be changed. At two in the morning. On a stepladder. And I can't ignore it because it's too loud, and I'm the only one who can change it.

So that's what I did, at two in the morning on a stepladder, and miraculously there were two extra 9V batteries in the junk drawer so I didn't have to just rip the thing's guts out to shut it up.

And this saves me having to do it when "they say" you're supposed to do it, which is when you set the clock back an hour, which this year is on November 4th--the day that "AT Walks the Island." This year I'm planning on walking with them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map