Saturday, January 12, 2008

Stuff I Can Do

I went bowling today for the first time in years. (It's my contention that unless you're The Dude from "The Big Lebowski," you will invariably follow the words "I went bowling today" with "for the first time in years.") 

There was a fun mix of people there: Kids' birthday parties, couples on dates, a bunch of young hipsters taking on post-ironic nicknames. I could see the nicknames because one of the biggest innovations since the last time I was there is that there are giant flat-screened monitors all over the place, showing videos and keeping your score electronically. 

My favorite thing was after every frame, an animation would come on the screen with pins and balls chasing each other, morphing into various objects and scampering around. We'd bowl our frame and then rush over to the screen to see the funny animation.

And it occurred to me: These things were created by somebody with a sense of humor and some animation software. I can do stuff like this. Not so much should, but can.

And that annoyed me the rest of the day along with the t-shirt I was wearing whose length shrank in the wash so the bottom kept popping out of the waistband of my pants. There's a whole bunch of stuff I can do, know how to do, would like to do, and I get bogged down so much in the stuff I have to do.

I've been getting this nagging sensation at this time of the year every year for as long as I can remember. One good way to handle it has been to write a big list; not a New Year's Resolution list because that implies that you've seen The Error of Your Ways and you're going to turn over a New Leaf, and that's going to last about a week before you resent it like hell. I'm talking more about one of those David Allen Getting Things Done Dump List, where you get it all out of your head and down on paper, no matter how silly it seems.

That's what I'll be doing the rest of the weekend. And the first thing I'm going to put on the list will be "Get a Sharpie and mark the inside collars of all of the t-shirts that shrank in the wash" so I can wear them with things where you don't have to tuck.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map