Monday, March 31, 2008

"I've Been Tagged For A Meme"

And my co-workers are wondering if I've just mentioned some new software we all have to learn.

This one is from Ms. Judy. The rules are:

1. Link to the person who tagged you.

2. Post the rules here

3. Share 7 random or weird facts about yourself

4. Tag 7 random people at the end of the post, linking to them.

5. Leave a comment on their blog so that they know they’ve been tagged.

Seven random facts about me:

Okay, now I'm supposed to tag seven people, except almost none of the people I could possibly tag have blogs. However, they've all sent me e-mails that I have yet to answer with headings like "Three Facts About Me" "Things You Didn't Know About Me" and "Drive Your Girlfriend Wild With Extra Inches." Oh wait, that last one was something else.

I'm going to tag Ambivablog. Oh look, she just invented another meme.


Comments:
I feel the need to disseminate this horrible abuse of the word meme, and what I posted at Hallqs page sufficiently gets across my point, so I'll paste:
Sorry, but you are entirely misdirected about what a 'meme' is. A survey or chain letter or pass-me-on or whatever this is has no relation to the word. In order to not look silly or foolish, you should research terms before using them. You can't make something a meme just by declaring it so, and if this was one, it would be instantly recognized and occur regularly in the social consciousness in various forms. All your base are belong to us and LOLcats are memes, 'list 7 weird things about yourself' is a survey at best, and a piece of unsolicited spam chainmail at worst.
 
Locke, it must cause you no end of consternation to see this usage of "meme" and you must be a busy bee to be making a post at every site with such a "survey". Although All Your Base, StarWars Kid, etc. (and "Kilroy Was Here" even before the internet) fit your definition, suck it up and admit that language changes. The word Meme now has an additional meaning. Along these lines, I much prefer that people correctly say that an amount is "more than" rather than "over" but that ship has sailed. Just like when I was a kid, one said things happened "on purpose" and "by accident" -- now, things happen "on accident". Quit your sniveling and let me hand you a Kleenex to dry your tears -- unless you'd prefer a facial tissue as to avoid the horrible abuse of a trademarked name.
 
Stuff I Felt Guilty About This Week:

Monday: Aaagghhhh! I'm up to my ears in quarterly deadlines, and my blog's just been tagged for a meme.

Friday: Aaagghhhh! Someone I don't know from a hole in the wall is telling me I used the word "meme" wrong.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map