Tuesday, May 13, 2008

They DID Find Trail Mix in My Bloodstream

The endocrinologist called me this morning.

"Did you ever have a sonogram for fatty liver?"

I beg your pardon...don't call my liver names.

"Uh, I had a sonogram three years ago, but all they told me from that is that I didn't have cancer of the pancreas."

"Well, I want you to get another one. You have high liver numbers."

Turns out that everything--high blood sugar, fatty liver, high triglycerides, gall bladder disease--is all a part of this thing called Metabolic Syndrome, and it's supposed to put you at greater risk for heart attacks and complications from diabetes. And a big part of what causes it is being middle-aged and overweight.

The thing is, I'm not really fat. I was just a little skinny person for many years and I continued to eat like one, so now I look stocky. And I'd consider it part of "growing old gracefully" if it weren't for the fact that it's affecting my health.

Okay, that's bullshit. I want to look better, too.

Comments:
Do you drink diet sodas? I've heard that they're bad (ok... i admit they aren't great for anything but ..) that they were especially bad for metabolic syndrome persons. Just started hearing about metabolic syndrome. Was wondering about it. Hmmmm.
 
Yeah, I do drink diet sodas, because the pantry in my office is stocked with free sodas. I think the management want to keep everybody constantly jazzed up and producing. Somebody's always bringing in a little chocolate something, too.

Oh sure, there's water, but that's no fun.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map