Monday, September 01, 2008

Bye Bye Bikey

I realized the other day that I hadn't been riding the bike as much as I'd thought I would: It's raining, the traffic is too heavy, it's too hot, I'm too tired, etc.

My conscience plagued me. "Why did you spend good money on that bike? Why do you never ride that bike? Why do you keep coming up with one excuse after another...Don't go away! I'm not done plaguing you yet!"

I asked myself, "Self, when you do ride that bike, do you think to yourself, 'Hey, this is fun! I should do this more often.'" No. It's more like: "Oh man, there's trucks parked in the bike lane again...Dammit, why is that moron darting out in front of me talking on his cell phone? Hey, Oblivious! Oh sh*t, that cab is opening its door. There's a crosstown bus ten yards behind me beeping at me like I'm the anti-Christ. There's...F*ck you, pal! I do too know how to ride!"

I bought the bike to get some cardio, but let's face it: The only cardio I'm getting is my heart in my mouth because I'm afraid I'm going to run over someone or something or they're gonna run over me.

And it's a lovely old bike, as you can see from the picture. I felt bad for it sitting in the backyard, and realized I'd feel even worse for it when it was covered with leaves and snow and turning into a pile of rust.

I put on ad on craiglist yesterday morning and by late afternoon, an NYU student pedaled happily away.

Run free, little bikey!

Where's the number of that gym?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map