Friday, June 02, 2006

Out of the Picture

Apartment Therapy's Eight Week Home Cure is in its eighth week. Back in the beginning, I'd kicked things off in our house by switching the position of the big poster in the living room and the big poster in the bedroom, above. I then got the brainstorm of redoing the bedroom to match the poster, with campy, mid-century modern furniture and bright tropical colors.

As the weeks went by, though, I found that the poster and I were going in different directions. A suggestion from another Apartment Therapy regular got me thinking about Modern Rustic, and suddenly I was in love.

I felt guilty, of course. I went out of my way to avoid being unfaithful to the poster. I would be at Bed Bath and Beyond and say, "Oh, look at that great Nautica quilt!....uh, I mean, look at the Elvis lamp!" But there was no hiding the truth.

This morning, I told my husband. He said, "If that's the way you want it, it's your decision."

So I'll put the poster on Craig's. But the original idea got the creative juices flowing. The black and white photos and abstract expressionist paintings still look cool, and we have a backlog of great artwork to be framed, mounted, etc.

Next is to paint, panel and plaster that tobacco-stained wall. Yecch!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nyc bloggers map